Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year My Friends and Family!

2008, wow, how it has flown! Blink and you seriously missed it...last year we were living comfortably in our beautiful home in Treasure Valley. Life was good, it was very comfortable and I was starting to feel it. (First big mistake, right ; ) )? We had just welcomed a beautiful baby boy into our waiting and wanting home, we were enjoying all of him, and of course we were enjoying "J" as well. Hubby was embarking on another semester at BSU via the internet and doing so well, he is a smarty! We were both working-out on a regular basis and hubby even beat his high blood pressure by April.


Yep, life was good....however back in November of 2007 we had noticed that orders were becoming less, prices for things such as corn for cattle feed at Western Stockmen's (Simplot) were becoming costly and orders were dwindling those effects. Hubby came home one evening and we discussed the situation for several late hours and even the next day the signs of that division of the company really slowing due to such huge inflation and ranchers finding cheaper ways to feed their livestock verses custom feed started to become more and more of a reality. It had been almost two years there and we were so happy and loved our new life we had made in the area. As I decorated for Christmas in our gorgeous home in 2007, I had impressions and feelings as if this were the last Christmas in this home and to enjoy. So we did and from November 2007 we were in the application process and began the process of looking for a new job.
Fast forward to March, we were contacted by Cargill that hubby was a perfect match for a position in the Manger, cattle feed division, we were thrilled since things at Western Stockmen's were pointing towards possible layoffs. Hubby went through the extensive process, it is all a blur now but I remember it was phone calls, e-mails, physical interviews and so on! We travelled to the interview and he felt so good, and when he shakes their hands to leave the hiring manager told him that he will be calling him with an offer within the week... Well each day went by and nothing, almost a week from when he interviewed we got an e-mail, we were stunned, hubby was informed he didn't get the job and that's it no explanation nothing. We were shocked, mad, frustrated and egos bruised! We thought for sure he had it- we were told he had it....so we thought and we were so excited that this job could have taken so close to the "Land of Milk and Honey" and other family! We had been looking at the area and things at hubby's work were really starting to point to layoffs coming and it was becoming clearer that hubby's whole crew was expendable.

As you can imagine I was really burned out so I just stopped applying and keeping up with other applications we had in, I was done in! Then we got an e-mail from a recruiter at Cargill, the e-mail that changed our life. The recruiter was contacting us to let hubby know that they were very interested in him joining the Cargill Management team and to please be patient while they find the right fit. He has taken a look at his resume and wanted him to break away from the feed mill area he had only two years experience in and go to Managing elevators, which he had 8+ years experience in. So we got the e-mail the next day to apply to a job in the Midwest! So after great deliberation we decided we had nothing to lose and things at hubby's current job were starting to worsen. So we applied.

Calls, e-mails and a flight to the Midwest for an interview later, hubby was offered the job! Happy and sad, it was a bittersweet moment but our decision was made in the temple and through fasting and pray we knew. (While hubby was interview at the facility he could possibly manage I asked him to clear his mind to listen to the impressions given him and share with me all these things that came to his heart and mind. I was hoping secretly that an offered wouldn't be offered, and when it was I was hoping for feelings that would force our hand to stay and figure things out but all fell into place, we were moving to the Midwest). Heartsick but full of peace, we began to settle our affairs in the area and prepare for a 1600+ mile journey. Remarkably things fell into place, small miracles happened that made the move fast and easy. All ties were cut off fast and with the help of family and friends all was final. I loved my life that we had worked so hard to make in Treasure Valley and now I had to say goodbye to a home I loved, Ward and friends I adored and move so much farther from the "Land of Milk and Honey." It was hard, so hard but I had peace.






The first morning in our new town I was wakened by a call on the hotel phone. We were exhausted from our long day of flying the day before and were all still sleeping. Groggily I got the phone to hear on the other end, "Is this Sister Pilgrim?" What Sister, what, it must be a member of the church, I thought immediately... "Yes this is," I replied rather surprised to the very friendly yet mysterious caller on the other end of the phone. "Welcome, Sister but if you don't mind I have a story I need to tell you...from there this lady was a member of our little Branch, in our new area. She shared with me a story that day that confirmed that all had taken place, every miracle that fell into place to help us move there and fast, every peaceful and pulling feeling to come here, the story had explained it ALL!

You see this faithful sister and her family and a small handful of other members were keeping this area going, a couple years prior Stake officials were coming here to close the Branch down. Because of this lady, my now mission companion and dear friend, the Branch was not closed the members were instructed to fast and pray for new members. With in 5 months time, 4 new priesthood holders and families moved into the Branch, including ours. She then stated to me on the phone that day,"Sister, you were prayed here by us and that is why you are here, we need you and your family!" I cried, I had gotten my answer, we had made the right decision, and yes our peace, our miracles all came from the Lord. This was the direction that we were to travel. I then called my dear mom and cried with her and told her of the phone call and she had peace too. One can only imagine what it must feel like to have a daughter, a child move so far, especially since my mom and I are so close, it was her peace now too, that we had made the right decision. I called hubby's mom too and the same story relaid and the same feelings of peace as well.

Since then it has been a whirlwind of events, we have gone from a 20 something regular congregation to hitting the 50's last Sunday!! Our small little building is bursting at the seams. I have been called and set apart as a Branch Missionary. During that blessing it was told to hubby and I that we have the privilege of being called on a mission in a different way and by only the will of the Lord are we here. When Jay was interviewed by the Stake President to be a counselor to the Branch President the same amazing statements were made to him.

So it is happening, during this economic turmoil, people are having their jobs threatened and even losing them and are required to move to areas of the United States or maybe even the world in order to sustain a livelihood. Many of us "comfortable," Latter-day Saints are being sent on our "missions" throughout the land. We are having to establish ourselves in these lesser LDS populated areas and we are bringing strength and numbers to areas were the work can grow. It is a new kind of mission, 20, 30, 40 and 50 something year old people moving from stronger LDS areas and serving their missions while working and sustaining their family.

What an amazing experience! So it is today, January 1st, 2009, I want to be thankful, not egotistical, not puffed up, but thankful for the blessings, the very many that we have been given.

I know that we are living in a time of much turmoil, where many are nervous about various things especially the economy. I know that we are so blessed, hubby missed a layoff by 1 WEEK!!! It was so close for us and I know had we not had the impending layoff we would have never left our comfort zone. I know that sometimes being in a hard place we are compelled to do WHATEVER it takes to sustain and live. I am so thankful we have been spared what some have already had happen. I am so thankful I am having missionary experiences. I am so thankful my sons are being raised to serve and to not ask what is mine, when is mine, where is mine (my BIGGEST pet-peeves). I am so thankful for a smart, capable, unselfish, amazing husband. He knew the signs, he is obedient and he listened to the promptings and warnings early and avoided what could have been a huge financial tragedy in our lives. He amazes me every day as his capacities and capabilities are used, he is so very very amazing! He has stepped up to the plate and is doing so well even in times of adversity he has been a rock, a rock I could count on!

I am so thankful for flexible and helpful sons, both have been amazing through this experience and I am so thankful they keep smiling and see this as an adventure. Their little worlds were upheavaled in this and I feel so sad sometimes they are not going to have the never moved same stability that hubby and I grew up with. They seem to seize the adventure and love to join in on the ride. I am so thankful for the peaceful impressions and for the words that have confirmed that we are to be here. It has given me purpose and direction and has helped me to never look back, even though sometimes I do miss things, I have been happy and very busy and I am thankful for that.

My list can go on, my cup runneth over! By no means has all this been easy but it has made us strong, united, thankful and most importantly closer to our Heavenly Father and Savior. I am thankful for the journey to serve our mission, I look forward to more. I hope that I can live up to what Heavenly Father sees in me and hopes for me. I hope I can repay one day all I have been blessed with! May each of you know the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, I hope whoever reads this finds themselves a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and if not contact me, I will tell you how. Come to the happiness, don't miss out!

I love and appreciate our dear friends and family! Our hope from the Pilgrim Village is that each of you has prosperity, health, happiness and the gospel! Enjoy the ride, it is but once we get to do this and may you count your blessings even through the tough times now and possibly ahead.

Love to all! Have a Happy and joyous New Year!

6 comments:

21st Century Homemaker said...

I am so glad that you guys are doing so well. They need you guys there but we still miss you guys!

Kim said...

What a wonderful & reflective post. It sounds like you are doing wonderful things there & I know from my personal experiences that everything does have a purpose & those don't always get reveiled to us immediately.

Have a wonderful new year & hopefully things continue to go well for you.

Melissa & J.D. said...

Mrs. P...that was an amazing post! I so appreciate your grateful heart and nature. You have always led by example. The people of Nebraska are lucky to have you and hubby there.

Here's to another great year with all it's unexpected twists and turns in 2009!

G-mom said...

nice post. you are so inspiring and I love how you follow the spirit. Your family will be blessed even more. Miss being your missionary partner.

Carrie said...

Hol,
The boys playing are so cute. What a great year with so many new blessings and trials. I am so glad you are so involved in missionary work. Nothing is better than watching the light of christ change other peoples lives.

Brittney said...

Thank you for sharing your experience. One thing that I have learned from our many moves (all 11 of them), is that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and if we will follow his plan, we will eventually see the blessings unfold. While it is so difficult to be far from family, it is also a blessing to be able to have a "ward" or "branch" family that can feel that void.

I hope this year isn't quite so life-altering for you and that you can settle in to your new home and enjoy! :)