Well 2009 is just off to a splendid start...everything keeps breaking and we cannot seem to stay out of the doctor's office! It all started out with two ear infections, left ear in both my boys. So into the doctor we went, and we were sent home with an antibiotic. Great-right!? I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get an antibiotic, I don't know if we are all conditioned to think medicine is the cure-all for what ales a child... I have just always felt confident in medicines, they make us better or so I always thought...
Two days ago "J" woke up with a rash under his left ear, left side of his neck and left jaw line. He was lethargic the whole day and just a real grouch. I thought the rash came from some bedding we had changed on his bed in the night so I thought nothing of it. I changed the bedding back to his clean previous bedding thinking that would be the cure all and shrugged off the tiredness and grouchiness. I did however, listen to the nagging voice in my head to take the boys off their antibiotics. (I never do this, I always listen to the instructions and because I don't have a medical degree I tend to stick to the doctor's direction- besides it has always worked in the past).
Then yesterday morning he woke up and his face was covered with the rash from the previous day. Nothing had changed in his environment dramatically enough to cause it to spread, I knew something internally was causing this. Immediately I called the doctor and the nurse and I discussed what was going on. I was instructed to give him something like Claritin, which all I had was Claritin so that is what he got. He was given the adult dose. They thought that his rash was a sign of an allergic reaction.
However after catching him dipping his hand in my granulated sugar bag for the 3rd time this week, I started thinking something is wrong here, stories of children with type 1 diabetes popped into my head and all the signs. You see my dad had been diagnosed with diabetes and part of his signs started with a mysterious rash. So I called back the nurse and after telling all the similar signs he was having she said he needs to be tested today for it and got me the "first available" appointment...4:00 p.m. (which we were late to but hubby was so busy yesterday and he arrived a little late but he arrived).
After that call I just sat down and cried...I looked at my little bug and I thought to myself "could I have given him a diseased body?" I felt so bad, I didn't want this for him, no one else either but not my boys, please not them!
Onto the treadmill I went, there was nothing else I could do but continue on with life. As I walked I prayed, in my mind I pleaded and then I listened. I felt peace...but still nerves soon took over again. Finally at the appointment, we had to wait in the waiting room longer then any other visit and then the doctor checked him out and really felt that all the signs were a reaction to the antibiotics. He then checked his blood sugar to see if a fasting diabetes test would be ordered up and all came out normal. It was then certain he was allergic to the antibiotic that he was on. These things are still really scary and are life threatening. The doctor said that one can never predict what the body will do when it reacts, and we are still not out of the dark. We have to rush him in to the hospital if we see other problems such as breathing problems that can happen until the antibiotic is out of his system.
Even with the scar of further allergy related symptoms I was so thankful it was not a life-long threatening, life altering disease. I felt like even in the midst of a rough start to our new year we are being watched over and I rushed to offer a prayer of thanksgiving and gratitude. I am glad it was a rash, yes we will have to watch him for the rest of his life and when the doctors ask "are there any allergies to medicine?" I will always remember to tell his story and I will worry every time I have to administer an antibiotic, hoping this time will not bring on the more severe side effects with allergic reactions.

The culprit: Cefdinir
A medicine that "J" and I will always have to
keep fresh in our memories!







9 comments:
We had something similar happen with Jaden when he had just turned 1. They thought it was an allergy to the antibiotics...three visits later they then believed it was this strange thing that happens when kids turn 1 (can't remember the name) & that it wasn't the antibiotics since it didn't go away right away. It's was a scary & frustrating time since the Dr. didn't know the answer.
I'm glad everything worked out. It's hard seeing kids sick & not being able to fix them.
I am glad he is ok! Don't stess though, there are A LOT of antibiotics, most of which are in "families" so they will just no longer give him the types in the family he is allergic to. I got a rash from Amoxicilan in 5th grade, so I have to stay away from the "cilan" family. An allergy to an antibiotic is pretty common and sure better than diabetes...I am so glad he is ok! Hang tough girl! Hope to talk to you soon!
Oh yeah... even if he did have Diabetes or some other disease, it doesn't mean you gave it to him or did anything wrong. You are a good mother, don't beat yourself up! Love ya!
The same thing happened to Weston when he was on Amoxicillin. He got a nasty rash and I was so worried. (He had shingles at the same time, so that didn't help) But now we just stay away from Amoxicillin and he is fine.
You are a great mother! You shouldn't beat yourself up about giving your child a diseased body. I knew when I married Weston that we have a higher chance of having children with diabetes (and a congenital heart defect that runs in his family) so I was a wreck when I started having children. We are not out of the woods yet, (our kids still could become diabetic) but we have learned a lot about the management of diabetes because Weston is. Having said all this...I still married Weston and I am so glad I did. My children are wonderful and I am so grateful that I have them and a wonderful father for them. It is all definitely worth it. No matter what may happen, it will all work out and be worth it. Sometimes genetic things happen but it is not your fault, it is all a part of the 'master plan'.
Love ya,
I'm glad everything worked out okay. We miss J!
Good job Holly, way to follow your feelings! I'm allergic to the "cillan" family and can't take any of them. I'm glad your little guy won't have to deal with diabetes at such a young age! What a relief! :)
You my friend, are too hard on yourself.
Give yourself a break and enjoy some chocolate!
Works for me....
Thank you all for your comments! I had no idea that allergies to medicines happened so often! It gives me more comfort to see that, it is something I have never dealt with and I ALWAYS think the worse!
Thank you all for your sweet words and love and support! I really needed that!
It's always So scary when the little ones are sick, especially when you cannot figure out why. Over Christmas break Kylie was sick (the dr said ear infection and gave her an antibiotic for it) but by week 3 I knew something was seriously wrong. Everything I read on the internet (big mistake) suggested meningitis AGAIN! I got her into the dr a.s.a.p. and found out she had mono and there was nothing they could do. She's finally better now but it is always such a scary experience.
It's a good thing that they were able to pinpoint the cause for "J" so that you know what to be aware of in the future! Things like this definitely make you appreciate your kids more, doesn't it?
Scarey stuff! I'm so glad it looks like all will be ok. I get a rash from Penicillin and it makes me itch and feel funny on my neck and face. You are a great mom and very intune. Hope the kids getting feeling better soon.
Post a Comment