Since we live in our builder's spec home until ours is finished and this spec home has lament floor in the living room, I have been very very hesitant to purchase our traditional real Christmas tree. As many of you know, either the hard way or have heard, lament flooring and moisture, water or anything wet, is so not good for the floor. It buckles and get distorted and doesn't go down after it is dry. So we have held off as long as possible in purchasing our Christmas tree this year. I figured that we could just put it up in the stand without water and let it die BUT we had to wait until it was closer to Christmas so that we had it in here only a few days. Well on our way home from our weekend travels I noticed trees are becoming more and more scarce. So last night for Family Home Evening we went out in search of the Pilgrim Christmas tree.
With Mr. C bundled like the poor little brother off the Christmas story, Randy, and "J" able to move but just as bundled, in -15 weather we went to the local nursery hoping the selection wouldn't be too picked over.
As luck would have it, all trees were seriously marked down, I had no idea since I always have to purchase our tree the day after Thanksgiving so that we can enjoy its splendor more fully and when you purchase the day after Thanksgiving you pay full price. The lady at the nursery was trying to make deals with us and made a deal on a fake tree that had hubby ready to buy fake. He absolutely doesn't not enjoy messing with a real tree...I don't know if it is because one year it feel on him, "J", and our new baby Mr. C or maybe it was the year that I had to purchase two and both died with 15 days left before Christmas (I did get a deal on both, though) and I had to run out and buy another, undecorate and then re-decorate or if it was the time that stinky water spilled all over our apartment carpet and he had visions and dreams of our sizable deposit going for new carpet and the hours spent scrubbing and cleaning so that we didn't lose our deposit or maybe it was the mess they caused as he had to haul it outside or the frustration that came with having to trim his own tree for the last 6 Christmas' until we finally discovered Home Depot trims and wraps the trees for you for no additional cost or possibly it was the frustration of having to cut your tree into "garbage man friendly" pieces before the city- underpaid- over -worked garbage man would pick it up and haul it off...who knows what his reasons are but he really doesn't enjoy getting a real tree. So it was tempting to get a fake with the deals the nursery lady was giving us but "J" our 5 year old persisted and was very insistent on a real tree for Christmas and he had his heart set on it and nothing could convince him otherwise. (I was rather proud of his negotiation skills).
So without further ramblings here is our Christmas Tree for 2008:
Here it is Christmas tree 2008!!
"J" had other plans for another tree!
He thought this one is so cute and that it should go home with us too!
Sorry only one for us this year!
4 comments:
You did a lot of posts in a matter of seconds so i had some serious reading to do:)
It sounds like you had a spoiled birthday! How fun.
I have to be with your husband on the tree...I'm fake all the way. I love not having to worry about the tree & the cleanup but I think it's great that you have such a fun tradition.
When does your house get done?
Oh and we live in Idaho falls.
I'm completely with you on the real tree! I just laugh at all of the saga we go through each year. :) Good luck with your laminate flooring! :)
I think you picked out a great tree. By the way...I absolutely LOVE the movie "The Christmas Story" Such a classic! Hope you are having a great time preparing for Christmas :)
Stick to your guns with the real tree. That's what Idaho women do!
Post a Comment