Thursday, September 11, 2008

A girl that knows how to shovel!

Last January through March prior to our move we got pounded by snow. Every morning it seemed like for weeks we would wake up to tons of snow. So one morning our Church meetings were cancelled due to new snow, I got in the trailblazer with J to look around at how much snow we had gotten. While driving through our neighborhood I noticed a little old lady out trying to shovel her snow. I knew that if this were my grandma I would want someone to help her and since I do know how to shovel (yes, I have shoveled before!) I grabbed our snow shovels and came right back to shovel her drive.
She was so pleased at our helping after the first time she asked if she could pay me, I said no that I would forfeit any blessings from doing good if I took any money. She then wanted me to take a $20 bill and contribute it to my church, I said no I was just doing a service and that is all my shoveling was- a small act of kindness. I did this a couple of times and felt impressed to check on her from time to time to ensure that her drive was clear and clean from snow and ice. Every time I took J hoping to teach him of service to others. I want my boys to always notice their fellow man/woman especially the elderly.
I am telling you this story because my friend came home yesterday to see an ambulance in her driveway. She investigated as to why and found that this sweet lady had passed away. Upon finding this out my sweet friend knew I had a special place in my heart for this lady and made cookies and bread for the family. I am so grateful that service never ends even after one passes away. To my friend, thank you for doing what I couldn't do, due to distance, for this family. Thank you for seeing a need no matter the choice of religion and knowing the true meaning of service. Thank you for remembering this woman!
I don't know her name, I just shoveled her driveway because I am a girl that knows how to shovel!




This is hubby shoveling our driveway, he did help us shovel at the lady's house too.


This is a picture to show you how much snow we got just in one night and it continued from there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did she live in our subdivision? I heard an ambulance yesterday morning and I thought it was really close by...

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like a sweet lady, and I am glad you had the chance to meet her.

Holly said...

Yes she lived over off of the corner of Odessa and the road that Rebecca lives on. So that was her ambulance you probably heard. Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Erin said...

Hi Holly, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

I found your blog from Audrey's blog. It's so fun to see how are you are and what you have been up to!

You're kids are so cute and getting big! Hope all is well!

Carrie said...

When did you get snow? You didn't tell me, wow that looks cold!