Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Trying Harder...

Last year after the aftermath of Christmas the Gap Cowboy was reminiscing about Christmas 2008 and past Christmas'. He had commented that although he had had fun this Christmas he had really missed family and friends from the area of the "Land of Milk and Honey." He had missed out on all the parties and family fun, the cooking, the gingerbread houses, the cousins, the fun family memories.
Because of where we live we have to choose when we go "home" and for holidays. We usually select Thanksgiving because typically the weather is a lot better and we don't have to pack up all the Christmas presents for a two days drive.
So this year Jayson and I talked and came up with a game plan to help ease the pains missing those old memories. We planned a series of activities that would include our new friends here.
Armed with the plan I hit the stores while in the "Land of Milk and Honey" for Thanksgiving and purchased some really fun craft kits and activities to do with Jayson and his friends.
I have been working hard to start new traditions, including the "kid" tree because he says he just loved his Granny's tree because her tree had fun kid ornaments. So this year we did a "kid" tree too. (pictured below)
Already we have colored some very cute and treasured ornaments for the "kiddie tree" and frosted sugar cookies with one of Jayson's neighborhood buddies. We have plans for gingerbread houses, Christmas pageant, and several other fun kid crafts with friends...more treasure for the kid tree.
I am trying so hard this year to make it special for him. Although we enjoyed our Christmas last year, there was a small place in our hearts that ached for family and friends and traditions we had become use to. I hope that my little guy will see the fun in making good of our current situation and not forget the fun but decide it is alright to be "home for the holidays."


Here are the boys decorating:





Little neighborhood buddy!



2 comments:

Chris said...

I think it's great you are working so hard to create new traditions. I'm sure you kids will look back & have fond memories.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Good for you. We need to chat because I'm staying home this year too for my first Christmas and i'm totally bummed. It's our first year with Abbi and I'm looking for traditions.

Let's talk.