Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Parent's Worst Nightmare!

Any parent, in their right mind that is, would never want their child hurt sick or in any hospital/doctors office. So you can imagine my horror when Mr. C ended up in the hospital due to him swallowing a magnet and we are still not out of the dark yet!

Sunday morning at around 5:00 a.m. Jay and I woke up to Mr. C making weird sounds. Since I can't mimic the sounds for you over the blog it is hard to describe what we actually heard. It seemed to us once we turned the light on that he was having a hard time breathing. His lips were blue and his little strawberries on his forehead were a deep purplish maroonish color so immediately we thought breathing problems. So I rushed off to the ER and Jay stayed behind with Jayson, who slept through all of this. It seemed like it took forever to rule or and pinpoint what was actually happening. By 7:00 a.m. my little bug was in a CAT scan and which found he had swallowed something the doctors and nurses thought similar to a magnet. As soon as the nurse asked me if he had possibly swallow a magnet immediately I cringed and my thoughts immediately flashed back to a week and half ago when I found him chewing on his older brother's small letter magnets he has received as a birthday gift from his preschool teacher. After offering that information they immediately sprang into action and order life flight. Due to weather it was then determined that Mr. C and I would ride via ambulance to Omaha's Children's Hospital. Lights flashing, going 100+ we made the 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive in 2 1/2 hours. Hubby and J later arrived in the Yukon at 5:00 p.m. Although it was the fastest ride from O'Neill to Omaha I have ever had, I hope to never experience that again...seeing your son strapped to a gurney in his little car seat and taken to his room with the hospital style crib. Surgery was being discussed since the object he had swallowed was a magnet. I later found out magnets can kill a child especially if multiple magnets are swallowed.

After a long long wait the next morning we found out he actually wasn't going to have surgery and that he could go home with a stool softener because the magnet has progressed to the colon. Yeah!!! So we are home and I am so thankful for my husband and his priesthood and that even though he was alone in anointing and blessing Mr. C he did it and we really felt like we were watched over and protected. We also feel that because of prayers and the blessing we had peace and that the object passed from the the small intestine to the colon and surgery was avoided.

We later found out the weird sounds and the shortness of breath could have possibly been related to how he was handling pain. He doesn't cry to often when he is in pain. Through all the pokes and pricks and even some of the IV placement he didn't cry much. He woke up this morning doing the same sounds but his time at the doctors office they determined it was a urinary infection possibly from dehydration. The doctor today heard and saw these little sounds and said it was almost like he was in pain and holding his breathing, like hyperventilating. Anyway it is really hard to describe over the blog everything all I know is has been my complete worst nightmare and I can't wait to have him healthy again!

Mr. C is just the sweetest happiest baby around and has been an added joy to our lives so to seem in such pain it has just been so hard on me as a mom and to think that all of this could have been prevented it makes me not even want to leave him alone in a room again!
Sorry if none of this makes sense or if there are major spelling or grammer errors, I am going on nothing right now and my blog is a very very welcomed distraction from everything!

Hubby holding and rocking Mr. C in the room. He was throwing up and in order to leave we had to have him keep one bottle down. So we just held up right and gently rocked so he wouldn't move and keep that bottle down!


I know many probably thought that we should have left J with friends but he was actually a comfort and a distraction for his brother when he couldn't eat. As soon as J walked in the room he smiled big and laughed at J. J gave him a big huge and said "I misted you bruver, you are alright lets get your stuff and get you out of here and get you a big prize at Toysrus" It was so sweet it made me tear up! They really are such good little buddies, it was cute!

J is watching TV and eating Chex Mix on the bed I slept on! Yes it was not very comfortable but I was glad it wasn't a car because I had seen worse!

9 comments:

Brittney said...

Oh Holly. I am so sorry to hear about this but so glad it turned out okay. I can't imagine how scary this must have been especially since you didn't know what was going on. I hope he is back to his normal happy self in no time...same goes for you! :)

mickelsenfamily said...

Oh my goodness Holly! I'm so sorry this happened. I hope he is on his way to recovery now and that all will be fine. That truly is a nightmare! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! That is so scary! I hope he recovers soon. I would have been a WRECK if that had happened to me. Way to hold down the fort even if it was a nightmare. Your little buddy needed you to.

I hope all will be well for Carson real soon. You are in our prayers.

Becca's Blog said...

Oh my goodness Holly I am so sorry. Poor Carson and you. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm so glad that he is doing better. I need to call you. You are in my prayers. Hang in there.

Unknown said...

Hey dude...we have been hearing about all of this through mom. I'm glad he is okay. Isn't it funny what those little runts do to all of us...such worry! But I imagine with your two little guys you are going to have a lot more fun adventures in an emergency room. :-) Remember...don't panic! Glad he is okay. He is one of my favorites!

Carrie said...

Holl,
I am so glad all is well now, I haven't talked to you since yesterday so I assume the day was okay. You are a great mom and I am so glad little Carson is okay!

Shannon and Doug said...

Wow! What a horrible experiance for you! I know just what it is like seeing your little baby in the ambulance. London had quite the scare when she was 3 months old with RSV. She had to be rushed to the children's hospital in an ambulance in her little carseat too. That really does just pull at your mommy strings doesn't it? I am so glad for the priesthood too. It really does work miricals. I wish your sweet boy a speedy recovory. Our prayer are with you guys! Thank heaven for big brothers to soften the mood a little huh?

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Holly - it sucks that you're so far away. I'm glad Carson is feeling better...but still wish I was there to help. Love you lady - you are an incredible mom!

21st Century Homemaker said...

Holly I am so sorry to hear that happened to Carson. Magnets scare me, I always heard it was deadly if they swallowed 2 becuase it could pinch off their intestines. I had no idea that even 1 is serious. I am going to be paranoid now becuase Ava puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. I am glad to hear he is doing better. Hang in there!