This my journey...I was once single, career oriented, having fun and carefree. Then I met my husband, life changed for the both of us. We married and soon our thoughts turned to family. We were older then most LDS couples but we both were ready and content in our lives so it was a unanimous decision to come off birth control and let whatever happen take control. Immediately Jayson was on his way. Fast forward to July...our annual cabin trip spread a fun little flu bug and landed me into the hospital with pre-term labor at 27 weeks. After a month and a half of bed rest, lots of pills and a priesthood blessing that said I would have a healthy baby I went into labor for a third time and after pleading with the nurse, that knew my mother, to not send me home again, I delivered a beautiful baby boy. Upon his arrival it was discovered our little guy had two knots in his cord and the cord was wrapped around his neck twice. It was because he knew he had to come and he knew he was meant to be that he kept coming and finally a nurse helped me to get him here.
In the hospital we were visited by doctors and nurses that had heard of his delivery circumstances and he was called the miracle baby by all. Our Gap Cowboy should never survived such circumstances, let alone be born healthy.Above is our little miracle boy...a start to our family. We were now three but knew we were not done, hoped we were not done and couldn't wait to have another!
It was around the Gap Cowboy's 2nd birthday that I began to wonder what was wrong with my body. We had not gone on birth control after the Gap Cowboy was born, we just thought when we were ready things would just happen again like before right???
After several appointments and tests a doctor tells me after having delivered my first that the only option for me to have more children would be a little procedure that costs thousands and thousands where you have more luck of winning the lottery than getting a baby or babies, called invetro. Words you are shocked and stunned to hear especially after you have had one already. The mystery was what had happened to my body, why was it not working or working right since I had the Gap Cowboy???
Life's little twists and turns then sent us to the Boise area. In Boise I met an infertility doctor nicknamed the Baby Maker, someone I was ready to have on my team. His success rate was phenomenal and I wanted him on my team. After being on a wait list for 3 months I finally got my day, my moment with the "Baby Maker." I was led into his office where I saw a scripture from Mosiah that discussed: to some men I will give them the power to work miracles. I started to cry and boom entered doctor as I was wiping away tears. I told him my story and my history and he looked at me and said, "You are such a sweet girl, lets get you a baby!"
Within minutes I knew what I had, it was confirmed in the ultra-sound, I had Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom (PCOS). A game plan was formulated I was handed over to a team of wonderful nurses that would train me on a list of meds, including these shots I called a cocktail of hormones. It all happened so fast and everything a blur, so you can understand how I got mixed up. When I got the signal to go it was my understanding that I would start the meds. So meds were ordered shipped to my home, for discreteness and convenience. I went to my projected ultra sound appointment. They measured all my eggs and ONE had the potential to mature. So I went home and I started taking the meds, everything-E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!
The nurse called to check on me and see how I was doing with the schedule and some how in the conversation it came out I was on everything. She put me on hold and came back on to tell me that this month would have to be scrapped. I had messed up the meds, they were not to be taken all at once, they were to be taken in stages- exactly, precisely when they told me! Ugh!! I was so sad! All that money down the tubes, not to mentioned I was high on hormones and I was a mess. So we "scrapped" that month and a week shy of my next ultrasound appointment I was feeling those symptoms, those unmistakable symptoms. I didn't know if I dare take a pregnancy test but I did and it turned positive.
Again, doctors scratching their heads and again one of my children deemed a miracle! Complete miracle! Mr. C's birth was just as eventful as the Gap Cowboy's was. This time it had to deal with me and a reaction to the level of epidural I had. When I had the Gap Cowboy I was given a self administering epidural, push a button if you feel pain and Auhhh...pain gone. With Mr. C. I got it all at once and so my heart rate went down....down...down...into the 30s and I remember feeling very tired and an inner voice screaming to not close my eyes (I believe my fighter spirit kicking in). My first dose of epinephrine I didn't respond and then my second dose, right in the thigh, I came out of it. Mr C was soon born and another beautiful boy....we were now 4!
So with two miracles we were gluten for punishment when we started to think about when to have another....I knew though as long as I had PCOS I would have to do my regimen of, exercise, metphormin, clomid, my cocktail shot of hormones, ultra-sounds telling me when I am ovulation, a great team of nurses and one talented endocrinologist. Soooo since we are thousands of miles from my wonderful endocrinologist and I was not on any of the above meds I knew we were fine...right!?
At the beginning of summer hubby and I went on a 1500 calorie diet. It consisted of a protein drink for breakfast, a sandwich on Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread for lunch and my pick of fish off the grill for dinner, and of course fruits and veggies thrown in all over. We were exercising every night expect Sundays and we both were feeling so good and young.
We had a game plan and baby three was not in it just yet, we had a list of things we were going to do....we were looking at trips for the cold times here, I was ready to start the masters program this January...in March I was planning on being ready to run races again and do the 5k in our town...then after that was all done I would be healthy and ready to have another....WRONG!
About three weeks ago I started to feel those out of body experiences, you know those feelings of your body is no longer yours. Well I ended suspicion and confirmed what we suspected....I am pregnant again!!! Yesterday we had our first doctor and have a Mayish due date. I know I am not that far along but I share my news, I share my story first to journal but also hopefully to help encourage those of my friends that are going through the same thing I am maybe even more so... PCOS and other infertility problems are sometimes beatable. I want to shout from the top of my roof you guys can do it!!! Even if something happens with this pregnancy me and my husband beat PCOS without meds and a team of specialists! You can too!!
Team up with your husbands and make it a couples goal, get healthy, take your vitamins (I was taking k-48 and vitamin D-let me know if you want more info because the k-48 helps with hormonal imbalances).
Our third is not yet a grain of rice yet but again I am excited to welcome a third miracle to our family. For this purpose I have been put on this earth and for this purpose will I put it all on the line and go through a hard, scary experience. It is scary since my reaction to pain medicine can trigger the same reaction...yet I am willing to put it on the line for another curly headed bundle of joy. It was once said to me my children would be as precious as jewels, each having cost us that much to get them here and now having traveled the long road I have traveled I would agree, they are precious as jewels and so loved and so welcome in our home. Hubby and I would go to heaven and back for them all again!
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Not even a grain of rice yet....
Posted by Holly at 9:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
wow Holly! Thank you so much for sharing such an amazing story! Love you! I pray for you to have a healthy and happy pregnancy! Good for you! I want my bestie to read this because she is on her 5th year of marriage and still no babies- I keep telling her not to lose hope.
Congratulations! It sounds like you've been through so much to get your little ones here...what miracles.
I have a really good friend with PCOS that's been married for 10ish years & they've never been able to get pregrant after trying everything so they adopted a little girl 3 years ago and guess what...they got pregnant about 4 months ago from an herb called "maca root". It gave her, her period back. I was crying when they told me. Miracles do happen:)
I agree with the baby maker, you are a sweetie and deserve everything your heart desires...and your heart is that of a mother. I am so happy! My prayers are with you and your not even a grain of rice yet.
Wow...what a story of miracles. Thanks for sharing that. I'm so excited for you...congrats and best of luck to you!
Post a Comment