On Mr. C's first birthday we had a professional cake decorator make a fun Lightening McQueen car cake. We had fun professional pictures taken with him and this cake so it was fitting to get a little crazy for his 1st birthday.
Well....ever since that cake the Gap Cowboy has been begging for something similar...a fondant dream, a decorator's special. Last year he wanted a car....
I tried...yes I will say it...only a cake full of a mother's love, that is all he got!
So this year I set out looking for local decorators that would do the cake of all cakes. He wanted a Star Wars Clone head this year and I knew it had to be a fondant cake. After combing 150 mile radius of local wedding cake decorators laughing on the phone at me.... "A KIDS CAKE!" they would say as if I had lost my mind, I realized I was dealing with a very different, simple state here, they are people of simple tastes here, I must sound like a pampered housewife who can't make a cake for her spoiled kid.
So I got online...google, to be exact and I found informational videos that made working with fondant and cake decorating look like riding a bicycle...anyone could do it right!? So I then found a baker's store with all the fondant and gum paste and fondant tools of all shapes and sizes. I ordered all the colors and tools and waited!
Finally today was the day....I attempted my first fondant cakes for my very special soon to be 7 year old. I have already been to the moon and back for this kid and I would go again. My children are precious and any special effort I can make on their birthday to make them smile and their eyes sparkle is worth everything.
Now I am not an "Ace of Cakes" or the next "Cake Boss," but I did it. I gave it my best and made some mistakes but I covered them up with more fondant. It was very rewarding. Mr. C was so fun to watch, you would think I was the "Ace of Cakes" the way he was exclaiming and thrilled with my work. We will have to let you know what the Gap Cowboy thinks! Me I think it was worth it, and yes, I will do it again. Here is hoping though, I get better at it and I don't have to cover up soooo many mistakes!
Tuesday, September 28, 2010
The Birthday Cake of ALL Cakes!
Posted by Holly at 9:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







4 comments:
Holly that cake looks awesome! I am sure that the GAP Cowboy will love it.
Thanks so much Ryan!! He did love...such a fun memory now!
Wow you did an awesome job on his cake. I thought about making the same cake for my son but we changed plans. Great Job!
Post a Comment