This maybe a big let down for some but this post is about just that, dirty laundry.... I NEED SOME HELP!


One of my new favorite shirts from Coldwater Creek. I love that store and this was a white 3/4 length cut cardigan (shown above). It is now a dingy yellow after one bleaching!! (I put it next to one of hubby's white t-shirts to show the contrast in the colors of white...it looks so gross).
Ugg...if I had all the money on all the clothes I have ruined with bleach I could be a rich woman. So the question is to bleach or not to bleach? And if I don't bleach how do I keep our socks and white T-shirts looking white?
Second item of dirty laundry....my messy but so cute little Mr. C is such the messy bug. Sometimes I have striped him down but other times we are out with people and I don't think it appropriate for a kid to be running around in a diaper at certain occasions. Well this time his cute little monkey shirt is not coming clean from Watermelon of all culprits....
Exhibit B:

I don't know if you can see the orangish pinkish stains dribbling from the collar to the Monkeys on the bottom. Anyone out there have any good tips!? I have soaked it in Clorox 2 and it still looks like this. It was darker and it did fade so if I need to be patient and soak it for weeks I will but I just wonder if there is a cure-all for this type of stain.
Any recommendations to my dilemmas? BTW I do use Clorox 2 a lot and have experimented with it on the whites but it just doesn't work like the real Clorox.
PS I have added some pictures of my house on the private house blog! Sorry it has taken me so long! More to come!







11 comments:
Hi Hol,
Sorry I am not that great at getting the stains out of whites either, but I have recently been sent an e-mail about using vinegar to help remove stains. I'll forward it to you.
Talk with you later.
Amy
oh no! that white shirt was so cute! I am sorry it faded, maybe you could just call it "cream" now. I like to use the clorox pens on white kid shirts with pictures. just be cautious when rinsing, especially near that brown collar. rinse the spot very well in the sink before laundering. those pens have saved many onsies and tops for my messy kids. if only they would leave thier bibs on! you might consider grabbing a pack of hanes T-shirts big enough to slide over Carson's clothes - its like a bib he can't take off. you can either get white one to bleach, or dark ones that won't show stains. bleach is best for sox, undies, and cotton tops, but a lot of those high end tops are actually dyed white to look nicer and brighter. i wouldn't even use clorox 2 on those, they will fade. i'd get some woolite for your nice tops. sorry about your shirt. good luck!
Sunshine is your friend. Instead of bleach, get yourself a clothesline and hang those puppies out in the sun. It is amazing the stains that will come out. This is what I use for my cloth diapers and it gets those nasty poopy stains out every time!
Hi Holly, I stumbled onto your blog thru your sister, Kristie. I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to laundry and I really love to do laundry. So I have some suggestions. Oxi-clean works wonders! I love the stuff. Spray and wash is better than soaking, spray it on and let sit a minute and then use the nossle and rub it. Use hot water with whites and the biggest one is I never dry my white tees, even my kids. This way if the stain doesn't come out, you can spot check it again and it's not heat-set in. I just hang them in their closets to dry...
Good Luck, Lataun Williams (Chad's wife)
Hmmm! I wish I had the answer to all those laundry questions too! I know something that works well but you have to be prepared to scrub a little and that is some kind of laundry soap called Fels Napsa (sp??!!) Somthing like that anyway. It works fairly well. I have just resigned myself to the fact that some stains just don't come out and that is life. :( I know my white t-shirts seem to only stay white for a season too, so I just plan on buying a new one each year! That works good for me!! (snicker!)
If you find this answer...please let me know. Laundry isn't my strong point and whites are the worst!
Zote Soap! My sister swears by it. Learned the trick from this nice little spanish seniorita....and I've never seen anything whiter.
Oxi Clean spray has worked for me with hard to get out stains. My mom always put a scoop in with the laundry too. I have a made a paste of of the powder and smeared it on tough stains before and it helped lift them. And sometimes Dawn dish soap works wonders.
As for the white shirt that is now cream...if you find a solution let me know...I've done that myself way to many times.
Thanks for all the GREAT suggestions! I am going to run out and get me some oxiclean. I have had that recommended before. I am now going to listen.
In the mean time I am going to look for Zote Soap as well and when the sun comes out try that too.
I will report my results!
Thanks for all your helpful hints!
I soooo feel your pain in this sitch! Someone once told me to try this stuff.....
http://bp1.blogger.com/_oJSyVe-VMrQ/RvnAOWm9_wI/AAAAAAAAAPc/YeZb-7F9bqU/s1600-h/Fels-Naptha.jpg
I haven't yet but I totally plan to! Sounds like Lataun is a pro, I am going to have to take her advice.... thanks!
I wish I could help...but if someone sends some advice your way, let me know. I have the same problem with the stains, especially watermelon and spaghetti. :(
Post a Comment