
I had the sweetest mother/son experience tonight. Yes, I have many but this one is special and I feel, blog worthy.
The Gap Cowboy is getting old enough to play the "older kid" board games. He loves to play games and we have invested in some real fun ones like "Don't Break the Ice" and "Cooties" and "Candy Land" of course! On Christmas though hubby got me a new game to add to our growing list of games called "Pictureka" and the Gap Cowboy got High-ho-cherry-o this year as well. So since Christmas we have been playing games with him on his break from school. He has really caught on to Pictureka and has beat hubby and I several times now. So I thought he showed signs of moving on to harder games and so I pulled out the game "Life."
Since hubby had been up with a train all last night, it was just me and the Cowboy, and a great opportunity for me to teach him this fun game from my childhood. I was a little worried because the box recommended ages 9+. However, he is doing really well with numbers and it was an excellent way to work on numbers, reading, life lessons and sportsmanship.
The blog worthy moment was when I was losing. I had all the bad luck in the game....here are my stats:
Career: Doctor
Salary: $40,000
House:$140,000
I landed on all the wrong spaces and my debt for college and house had not been paid off half way through the game. I kept exclaiming about my bad luck and I still had to pay my bills (so he would get the importance to pay off debt) and he looked at his very large stack of $100,000 (yes he drew the 100,000 salary card) and said "Here moma, I don't want you to be poor, you can have some of my money. I have plenty, so here you go." HE IS 6 YEARS OLD!
It warmed my heart and instead of me teaching him about sportsmanship I was having to tell him, "no it is OK, someone has to lose the game and you earned that money fair and square. I have to earn my money too." So even after keeping quiet about my lack of money in the game, he still kept trying to hand me money, saying he had more than enough and he was worried about how little I had!
I know I have sweet boys but gosh! I sit here with tears in my eyes and shake my head-how kind-how sweet...how blessed I am. Maybe I got two boys, instead of the little girls I always wanted, because Heavenly Father knew I needed some good boys to watch out for their moma...here's hoping they don't have to ever take care of me but they are good boys!
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Heartwarming...
Posted by Holly at 10:24 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







5 comments:
First off, I've never heard of the game but that sounds fun!
That's so sweet. It's so cute that he wanted to make sure you were taken care of.
You must be a good Mama, you taught him to share, I love playing games with my boys too.
They had to be taught about sharing with those that have less from somewhere and I'm gonna say his momma taught him. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!
Hummm....maybe the Chinese have it right.
Remind him of this when he is older (and you are too!).
what a sweetie! we have a new Transformer board game and GuessWho Extra that Brock really wants to play with Jayson...I bet they'd do great!
Post a Comment