Saturday, May 31, 2008

Welcome to O'Neill Nebraska...

Here is the branch building in O'Neill. Yes the picture makes the building look bigger than it really is! Don't worry, though, Jay and I are prepared for the task of finding new members! Looks like we will have our work cut out for us because there are 50 members but only 20 active...looks like I had better prepare for being a speaker every other Sunday! Just kidding...

Here is a 7 acre lot that we may build on. I love this piece of land because it has an old windmill as shown in the picture, it is very rustic and reminds me of the old Midwest.

Better view of the property.


Above is a picture of the library, a very old brick building, I love the history of these buildings. I also really liked how green it is and all the trees. I think the picture of the library depicts a lot of how the old building look and the greenery around town.

On my house hunting trip I had a lot of fun looking around town and getting familiar with everything. Very friendly people, something that Jay really enjoys. As you drive everyone waves and people open your door and when Jay holds the door for someone they say "thanks you." It is also very different from what I am used to and I will now be required to limit my Target trips, something I am sure Jay won't mind.

All in all this is going to be quite the adventure for us. Jay has already been on the job and they really like him so far and he is doing really well at impressing everyone. They have really been treating him well. I would highly recommend Cargill as a company to anyone, they have been absolutely wonderful in aiding us as we move and adjust. The town is really friendly and we feel like royalty walking around because the town loves Cargill- I think it really has brought in a lot of money to the area. Well that was my home hunting trip in a nutshell...except I forgot to mention my first experience with true Midwestern thunderstorms and tornadoes, words cannot describe the magnitude of these storms, it is so different from anything I have seen in Idaho. I guess it is a good thing that every house we looked at had a "safe room." I know we will have one in ours!

7 comments:

Melissa & J.D. said...

I was just thinking about you this weekend and wondered when you were leaving for Nebraska. I know you will love it there! Who knew growing up in Idaho that there were such small church houses... I still live in the bubble I guess.
Don't forget if you find any nice eligible bachelors in your ward that you have a farm girl you can set them up with...hahaha

John and Danielle said...

Looks like you are having an adventure! Shannon wants you to remeber to not worry about the tornadoes it all worked out for Dorthy!
We are really missing you and can't wait to see you one last time! When are you coming home?

Audrey said...

Holly! Oh I soooo know the feelings you are having right now! When Lane and I moved to Wisconsin we had such a similar experience! I remember the first night we moved there (we lived downtown above the bookstore built in 1880's). We went to Pizza Hut that night since we had no groceries (which is Piggly Wiggly) and I went into the bathroom and CRIED! I then had to look around and say to myself, "everyone here looks happy so maybe i will be too!"
We also had to drive 45 minutes one way to get to our branch.
I miss Dodgeville all the time! We were glad to leave but it will ALWAYS have a special place in my heart! You will quickly have a "ward family" there that becomes your family and that you never get here in Idaho or UTah....
Good Luck and enjoy the ride!
My hub works with the headquarters of Cargill (finding and creating jobs for byui students... he is VERY impressed with them)
Sorry for the NOVEL!

Audrey said...

Oh and the rainstorms are AMAZING!! Our first tornado experience we walked downstairs next door to the movie theatre and watched Daddy Day Care and watched the storm pass us by... SCARY YET EXCITING!
Ok I promise I am done!

Holly said...

Ok, Melissa there are two guys that Jay work with that are single. They are making a wonderful salary but Jay has offically confirmed that are not LDS. So you let us convert them and then we will set you up! How does that sound?
Danielle tell Shannon that I don't have any ruby slippers!
Audrey, thanks for the support and comments. I promise not to cry in the Pizza Hut nor the McDonalds nor the Subway BUT maybe into my pillow!

Carrie said...

Holly,
I miss talking to you almost everyday, I think I am having withdrawals!! This town looks pretty wild, tons of shopping and night life. haha. Call me when you can-I think the baby is on his way soon. I'll give you details later. Carrie

Anonymous said...

Holly!

I found your blog and hope to keep in touch with you this way. Our blog is www.thebikingfam.blogspot.com so we will hear from you often.....right? We will miss you opening your blinds in the morning and playing in the afternoons.

Candee