The other day while doing my morning news routine I ran across an article that stirred me. Yes, that article was on the newly signed health care bill. Yes, I knew at the time it was an emotionally heated topic. No, I did not want to ever point a finger nor hurt feelings nor embarrass anyone however I got caught up in the moment of my reading and I posted a "status comment" on Facebook about my stance on the recently signed bill. I had no idea the reactions, the comments, the strong feelings that would be ignited by both sides all from people I am friends with. Some comments totally took me by surprise while others didn't. Since that very moment of my comment post and those first few opinions started pouring in I realized there are two sides to every story...
First there was my side: I have been born and raised to work hard and pay for all that I have. To not look for any governmental or financial handout from anyone. My dad instilled in all of us the need to work and have good jobs to look for benefits, to negotiate...to this day when we get job offers I always call him to make sure he "approves" of our negotiations. This all coming from a man who worked night and day to send 5 children through college all with a H.S. diploma. So I have a strong opinion about myself and my husband; two smart and healthy (well at least healthy enough to work a job) people getting any government assistance-we are capable for providing for ourselves instead of this bankrupt nation.
Also I have been raised with respect for the life spent on preserving my freedoms- especially my freedoms of choice. Making my personal health care decisions has been a privilege I have personally witnessed this with my infertility (extremely frustrating and costly process), with hubby's health (yet another very very costly process), my dad's battle with disease and cancer (even more costly process), and even the birth of both my sons(both emergency situations).
Another part of me is scared for my children and their children. Our nation is currently writing checks that are going to be paid by our children's children and so on. Our nation is bankrupt. EVERY governmental program is broke, our states can't even afford education anymore, as my sisters are all receiving pay cuts this year, just so they don't all get laid off, which is happening in other states.
However I do see the other side too, now that life has hit, I will not say I have not been a benefactor of someone's good fortune and seeing my lack or need and coming to my aid when things have come short. So I will not profess to never ever received any help. I don't want anyone to ever think I don't know the sting of medical bills-we have plenty! So would I like my bills to go away??? Sure, it would feel great! Do I feel bad for those that have been laid off and are losing homes filing bankruptcy??? Yes, and mostly for their children.
SO, the comments, the stances that everyone clearly did or didn't take had gotten me thinking....
What would the Savior say? What side would He stand on? I have thought of many scriptures, many of His life's examples. His love for people, His love for children, His continuous giving and caring for the needy, poor and lame. I then thought of His position on justice and mercy, that the debts have to be paid (parable of the debtor and the collector). Then I thought, I am so lucky, NO! we are so lucky, we have prophets and apostles upon this earth and what do they say??? Then I re-discovered a youtube video that I know I have seen and many of you have seen as well and this is what it says...
"The message I bring is not a happy one but it is truth...truth must be repeated again and again...as a people we love sweetness and light, especially sweetness...We have moved a long way and are now moving further and even more rapidly down the soul destroying road of socialism the evidence is clear shockingly clear...unsound fiscal, economic and foreign aid policies...all approved by a weakly submissive rubber stamp congress...It is imperative that American citizens become alerted and informed regarding the threats to our welfare, happiness and freedom. No American is worthy of citizenship in the great land who refuses to take an active interest in these important matters. Stand up for freedom no matter what the cost, it can help to save your soul and maybe your country."
So my thought are this; my "Uncle V's" comment made the most sense when he talked about this bill that has been signed, the frustration that is being voiced against this bill, has a bigger picture... it is about freedom and our personal freedoms being taken away. Any socialist policy takes that freedom. So it starts with health care...then trickles to something else. Did the those framers of this bill just give us a spoonful of socialism in the form of health care, a very sensitive, emotional topic?
My great-grandpa on my mom's side grew up in the Preston area with Ezera Taft Benson. In his personal history he talks about him being an honest and good man. He is, and he is a Prophet, a Prophet of God. Just as in the times of the Book of Mormon and Bible, many Prophets stood and spoke of the times ahead and people scoffed and chose sides. Many were blinded...so my thoughts lead to this....
Is our dear Prophet (although not a prophet at the time of speech but a future Prophet of God) talking about now?
Another comment I want to respond to is from my Aunt B on this very topic and she said: "Probabaly should of just kept quite! Yup that probabaly would of been the call there..........:-)" How about I answer that with this quote from the clip: "No American is worthy of citizenship in the great land who refuses to take an active interest in these important matters. Stand up for freedom no matter what the cost, it can help to save your soul and maybe your country." I now feel resolved in what I said that day on Facebook and I am not ashamed I spoke nor should anyone who commented for either side or opinion have kept quiet.
Lastly on this very long and very personal post I say this: If you leave a comment on my blog saying I am wrong to stand up against this bill and the socialistic stance it takes you had better back it up with scripture or apostolic/prophetic quote from conference talks or the Ensign because who could say or think otherwise when you listen to the power of this Prophet!
Officially I have now said my dollars worth on the topic, I am done on this topic. I have taken my very firm stand and I have spoken very firmly and my stance is clear. I will not torture nor bore you with my political view again, on this level, anyway.
Thursday, March 25, 2010
I have not rested easy since....
Posted by Holly at 2:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







6 comments:
My very thoughts on the subject, Holly. I am so scared about what lies ahead, but if we are prepared we shall not fear...
It is also important to remember we are fighting a great war against evil, and we already know the outcome. Good will conquer! Christ will reign! Though the battle will be ugly and we may lose life, liberty, fortune or otherwise, it will be worth the cost. What a wonderful day it will be to see the salvation of our souls and those of our family!
May we always remember whose side we are on and be willing to pay all costs to uphold righteousness and liberty.
Love you Holly!
Thanks for making me think about this in a little bit of a different way.
Very thought provoking.
Let's start our own political party. We'll call it....
"We're Gonna Rox Your Sox off!"
(p.s. I love you! and I'm a democrat and your a republican...so we're living proof that we can all just get along!)
Beautifully written. It's an exhausting battle...one shamefully I haven't been actively participating in lately.
I notice for myself that these are the types of programs that unmotivate me. They motivate me to be lazy & I'm not a lazy person.
There's too many government handouts & not enough motivation to work hard.
Chris & I have found ourselves planning our medical future. Just signed up for Aflac (supplementary insurance) for the next little one...this is not an announcement:) We are doing everything in our power to make sure we pay our own way. Even though it means were paying an additional $125 a month for insurance....this is on top of insurance we pay through Chris's employer.
Keep up the good work!!! We need outspoken indivuals who are able to express their opinion so well!
Let the battle begin:):):)
I love the way you wrote that. so simple and powerful!! I agree too!! and you rock girl!! miss you!!
I saw this you-tube video earlier this week- and was tempted to include it in my comment on your facebook- so I'm glad you did. The talk is very prophetic and one that we are living and going through as we speak. I pray that we don't move into a socialistic society, but I agree with "Nampa Flamms"- I we are prepared we shall not fear. Continue to prepare now for what is being laid before us.
I'm grateful for your out spoken political views Hol. I always appreciated hearing about yours and Kath's views on our runs. Because of you, Kath, and my husband, I feel that I am able to voice my opinion- little by little. President Hinckley Said it best in his book title: "Standing for Something." Continue to Stand Strong!
Post a Comment